Sunday, March 12, 2017

Newborn Photo-shoot


Ok so this past week, I did something so exciting and very fulfilling! I had my first official newborn photoshoot. Yes! I am still bubbling over with excitement. I love photography. Well, wait, let me preface this by saying, I didn’t know how much I loved photography until I picked up a camera and started taking photos of food.

 
I have always been familiar with and intrigued by photography but felt really intimidated. My dad is a photographer and my husband is a professional photographer and videographer. So I have been around cameras and seen the editing process for years but it wasn’t until I mustered up the courage to give photography a try. I believe that we as people will never now what we are meant to do or what we are good at if we fail to try new things. Fear and intimidation keeps a lot of us from trying new things and experiencing the joys that come along with discovering something new. If you try something new and it doesn’t work, that is ok too because at least your tried. I admire the person who tried and didn’t succeed vs the person who never tries anything because of fear. 


So, my love for photography all began when I started taking pictures of food and I instantly fell in love with photography and felt pretty much like a fish in water. There was an immediate connection there and I loved how I could use photography to create art. I would show my husband and dad my shots (they are realist and blatantly honest) and they both were amazed at my shots, especially since I a a beginner. They would also give me honest and raw feedback that helped me perfect my shots, lighting, and angles. Their input was and still is extremely valuable and it helps me grow as a novice photographer. They have been working in the field of photography for many years and they know the ins and outs. My husband is a graphic designer so he is really good at editing and angels so I am surrounded by two of the best trainers in my opinion. I used what they have taught me along with two widely known photographers that I follow on YouTube and applied it to my first newborn photoshoot. 


Needless to say, I was so excited about this photoshoot, I did a ton of research, and I watched a ton of videos. Although, I watched a ton of videos on newborn safety and etc., I wasn’t extremely, confident about doing some of the popular poses with the newborn. So, I focused more so on staging, background, her attire, and angles. I also didn’t run out and purchase a lot of stuff. One of the photographers I follow advised against doing so and I agreed with her words of wisdom. Why go out and purchase all of these things when you are just starting. I plan to purchase a little here and there along the way, only purchasing the necessities. I didn’t have a ton of props, I pretty much used items I already had around the house. So for this photoshoot I brought a basket, white sheet, white sheer, a reflector, three textured blankets, a diaper cover, faux pearls, a beanie bag, and my husbands light lamps. Since all of these items were around our home, I only had to purchase a headband and some stretch fabric for wrapping from good ole Hobby Lobby all for under 6 bucks! That was my only expense so I think I came out pretty good and the photos turned out lovely!!


The parents were so ecstatic about the photos and I was pleased. The baby is absolutely beautiful and I learned a lot during our 3 hour session. I learned to work through the cry, to go with the flow, oh and to be flexible. My husband said I did a good job calming and soothing the baby and maintaining a professional yet nurturing disposition while working with this sweet baby girl. I really felt like I was in my element and I can't wait to do another newborn photoshoot again. 


As a perfectionist, I plan to only hone in on my skills even more and it is my prayer that the Lord blesses and favors my newest hobby. I am in no way a pro at this but I am enjoying learning and the experience. 
Isn't she adorable!!!


Anyways, I have a food photoshoot in a week for an awesome local baker, so I am excited to be photographing the thing that made me fall in love with photography....food! 






No comments:

Post a Comment